Sweet Potato French Toast & Plum Syrup – In the Instant Pot!
We normally have scrambled eggs for breakfast.. every. single. day. I don’t mind it during the week, but on the weekends when we have a little more time- I’m ready to switch the breakfast menu up! I’m not a huge fan of sweets for breakfast, so the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and plums is enough for me. Feel free to add a sweetener to your plum sauce, or use traditional maple syrup!
Be sure to pick a maple syrup that is actually maple syrup- many of the commercial brands are actually just corn syrup, water, and caramel color. (Yikes). You can purchase organic and 100% maple syrup here:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 fresh plums – quartered with pits removed
- 1/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil
- Raw honey or Maple Syrup (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla salt
- Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes. Carefully cut them longwise into slices.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon vanilla to the Instant Pot
- Place trivet in the Instant Pot, and set your sweet potato slices on top.
- Add the lid, and be honest with yourself- how thick did you really cut your sweet potato slices? If you are a master chef, and cut thin, beautiful, uniform slices, you can set your Instant Pot to Manual – 1 minute. If you are like me, and have uneven and thick slices- you better go with Manual – 2 minutes. 😀
- In a mixing bowl, mix eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla salt
- When the time is up in the Instant Pot, wait 5 minutes, and then use the quick release method.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and let the slices cool until you are able to handle them.
- While they are cooling, dump the water out of your Instant Pot (carefully!).
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and set the Instant Pot to Saute.
- When the oil is hot- add the plums to the Instant Pot. Using a wooden spoon, stir every few minutes as the plums break down. Saute until broken down to a “syrup” consistency. At this point, you can easily remove the skins, if you haven’t already. Turn the Instant Pot off, and stir in sweetener (totally optional).
- Turn the frying pan on medium-high, add coconut oil.
- Dredge the slices in the egg mixture, fry on both side until golden brown.
- Repeat until all the slices are fried up.
- Top with plum syrup and more cinnamon!
I actually cut one of my sweet potatoes into thick wedges- essentially paleo sweet potato french toast stick for my toddler. He LOVED them! I just happened to have plums in the fridge, this would absolutely work with other stone fruit- peaches, apricots, etc. 😀