Savory Paleo Three Onion Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon
So yesterday it was almost 90 degrees out.. and today its.. not. Like, a probably not even going to hit 60, cloudy and windy sort of day. Good thing we whipped up a big batch of this Savory Butternut Squash Soup! Of course we added bacon, because if you know us, you know we always add bacon ;D
Really, you could add any meat to this soup – shredded chicken, ground beef or stew meat would all be delicious.
We actually tripled this recipe (I told you we made a big ole batch), in order to freeze some for later! We made this on our stovetop, but you could easily make it in the Instant Pot – directions to do so at the bottom. 😀
We have a simple immersion blender – and just love it! It is great not only for making soups like this – but sauces, mashed cauliflower (or potatoes) and more. Very convenient for when you don’t want to haul out the whole blender set up!
- 1 large Butternut Squash, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 large White Onion – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 3 cups Organic Chicken Stock or Bone Broth
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Sage
- 2 Tablespoons Kerry Gold Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Strips of Yellow Brick Berk Bacon
- 1 Medium Red Onion – sliced
- 1 Jalapeno (Optional) – sliced
- Green Onions, for garnish
- In the stock pot, add the butter. When hot, add the onion and garlic.
- Peel and de-seed your butternut squash, then cut into cubes. Honestly, I don’t peel it, I chop the skin off with a sharp knife. I do loose a bit of the squash- but the skin is so thick, that I’ve found I have to peel it 2-3 times to get it all off.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper and squash to the stock pot – cook for 20-25 minutes, until the squash is fork tender.
- Using the immersion blender, blend contents until smooth.
- Add seasoning and Orange Juice, simmer while you prepare the onions and bacon.
- In a saute pan, cook the bacon and onions until done.
- Add crumbled bacon and sautéed red onions to your bowl and garnish with green onions!
We had ours with a dollop of Noose Plain Greek Yogurt – (a household staple!)
Instant Pot It:
- Saute the onion and garlic (in butter) in the Instant Pot (Saute Function)
- When the onion is translucent, add butternut squash, garlic and half of the chicken broth.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual – High – 6 Minutes.
- Prepare your bacon and red onions while the soup cooks.
- When time is up, wait 5 minutes, then use the quick release method.
- Carefully immersion blend the contents of the Instant Pot
- Add Orange Juice and remaining seasonings to the Instant Pot – stir well to throughly combine.
- Serve with crumbled bacon, caramelized red onion and fresh green onions!
This soup is perfect to freeze and serve during the cold winter months. Simply leave out the bacon, red and green onions. Freeze flat in quart sized ziplock bags, and you can enjoy Savory Three Onion Butternut Squash Soup all winter long!