Poached Pears with Spiced Orange Glaze in the Instant Pot
Confession: I’ve never made poached pears… or even eaten them before this Instant Pot recipe. While it always sounds good.. it seems a little…. labor and ingredient intensive. These poached pears were more than easy when made in the Instant Pot!
I loved how my baked peach crumble turned out in the Instant Pot… so I thought I would give pears a shot!
While these aren’t technically “poached pears”, since that requires submerging the pears in liquid to cook- they are a close second. I bet you won’t even know the difference. 😀
This recipe calls for coconut sugar, which I prefer because it has a low glycemic index. You can substitute a different sweetener if you like, however, the coconut sugar is a rich caramel taste- I think you would like it if you gave it a try!
I buy my coconut sugar in three packs here:
- 4 firm Pears
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/3 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 dash Whole Cloves
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- Vanilla Salt to garnish
- Peel the pears, leaving the stem intact.
- Add 1 cup of orange juice to the Instant Pot. Add all the spices.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot, carefully arrange pears so they are standing up.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Set Manual – High- 7 minutes
- When the time is up, wait 5 minutes, then release pressure.
- Take the lid off of the Instant Pot, and carefully lift the trivet and pears out. Leave the remaining liquid.
- Scoop out the cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Add the coconut sugar to the Pot- and hit the “Saute” function.
- Stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon- reduce the liquid down to a nice, thick sauce. You will need to stir continuously at the end- but only for a minute or two!
- Turn the Instant Pot off. Carefully pour the sauce over the pears (or into a glass storage container if serving later).
- Garnish with a pinch of vanilla salt.
Enjoy with a scoop of greek yogurt! I actually preferred these chilled… and yes I managed to save (one) lonely poached pear for the husband. :O