Paleo Beef Stew: the Best Beef Stew in the Universe!
Look, I know it’s August. However. We had a slight cold snap, I was feeling a little under the weather, and there was a rump roast on sale.. so Paleo Beef Stew happened. Actually, this is the Best Beef Stew in the Universe! Normally, I’m a “extra steps” skipping type of cook. That means I like to skip things like: searing, sautéing one ingredient at a time… patting your poultry dry, marinating for any amount of time.. I think you get the idea. However, I have to INSIST that you do not skip the sear when making this recipe! From one step skipper to another- if you skip this step, you won’t have the Best Beef Stew in Universe.. you will simply have regular (possibly slightly tough) beef stew. 😀
- 3lb rump roast
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 Head of cauliflower, broken up
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2lb carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Organic Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
My standard PSA about fish sauce:
You will notice that recipe calls for Red Boat Fish Sauce. Normally, I don’t get to particular about name brands, but in this case, I can ONLY recommend this brand. We’ve tried a handful of others, and they just taste awful- like, throw the whole dish away awful! Red Boat Fish Sauce is amazing, and give just a hint of something that you really didn’t even know you were missing to a dish. Perhaps the elusive umami- but it’s debatable. ???? You can find the delicious Red Boat Fish Sauce here:
- Cut your rump roast into 1 inch thick slices. salt both sides, set aside
- Chop up your onion, carrots, celery, sweet potato, carrots and garlic
- Add the olive oil to a hot frying pan, sear the roast slices on each side. The roast should be very rare in the center still. Set aside.
- Ready your stockpot, add olive oil and saute the onions and garlic.
- When the onions are translucent, add celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, water and beef stock.
- When the roast slices are cool enough to handle- cut the slices into 1 inch cubes.
- Add beef cubes, cauliflower, Red Boat Fish Sauce, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves and spices.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours on low- until the vegetables are soft and the beef is cooked through.
- Garnish with minced rosemary.
If you only take two things away from this recipe, I hope it this: don’t skip the sear, and don’t skip the Red Fish Boat Sauce. ;D
If I can be honest with you all, I had three bowls of this. :O. Thus why I insist that it is the Best Beef Stew in the Universe!
Title based on my favorite podcast: No Agenda (The Best Podcast in the Universe!)