There is no reason to wait for the weather to cool down to try this delicious soup!
I used to despise spaghetti squash. Turns out, I was actually cooking it all wrong. I used to bake it in the oven for like, an hour. The result was a goopy, gooey, squash-y spaghetti squash.
When we made “spaghetti” with it, the result was so watery and runny… and BLAND.
So, I thought I didn’t like spaghetti squash. THEN. I tried it out in the Instant Pot.
(Squash) Game. Changer.
For one, I don’t overcook it in the Instant Pot. I thought I could just “set it and forget it” in the oven or my slow cooker. I didn’t realize that it can even be overcooked.
Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot is crunchy, not watery, and has an almost nutty flavor. It is so good! I can eat it with even just salt and butter.
Plus, it is so much FASTER in the Instant Pot… like most things 😀
Since discovering how amazing spaghetti squash actually is, I’ve been adding it to our meals every chance I can!
This creamy tomato and sausage soup is certainly hearty enough to stand on its own, but I have to say, it really easy better over the perfect “al-dente” spaghetti squash noodles.
This soup comes together quite easily, and I love that it is a one pot clean up job.
Creamy Paleo Tomato and Sausage Soup in the Instant Pot
Start by sauteeing your onions with a bit of kerrygold butter in the Instant Pot. Add the butter, hit the “Saute” function, and add the chopped onions when the butter has melted.
I highly recommend using wooden utensils in your Instant Pot always, I find that metal will scratch the inner liner of the Instant Pot.
When the onions are translucent, add in your pork sausage. As it cooks, break it into bits with your flat wooden spoon. Turn the Instant Pot off when the sausage is all browned.
Pour in the marinara sauce, diced tomatoes (no need to drain!), chicken broth, and your seasonings. Give it a stir, and place the lid on the Instant Pot.
Lock the lid in place, and make sure the valve is set to “sealing”. Set the Instant Pot by hitting Manual – High Pressure – and adjust the time to 10 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally. When the pin drops, you can unlock the lid of the Instant Pot.
Stir in the coconut milk, and add any additional seasonings if need be.
The spaghetti squash is optional… but I wouldn’t skip it! Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Creamy Tomato and Sausage Soup with Spaghetti Squash
- 2 lbs ground pork sausage
- 1 Large or 2-3 Small Yellow Onions- Diced
- 3 Tbsp Kerrygold butter or Bacon Fat 😀
- 1 32 oz jar sugar-free marinara tomato sauce
- 1 24 oz can diced tomato
- 1 32 oz carton Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash (Optional)
- Cook the spaghetti squash according to these instructions. (Or bake for about an hour in the oven while you make the soup!)
- Turn the Instant Pot to “saute”. Add fat or butter. When melted, add onions.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add the ground pork to the Instant Pot. Brown, occasionally stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- When browned, turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add tomatoes, marinara sauce, chicken broth and seasonings.
- Give it a stir. Add the lid. Lock, and make sure the sealing valve is set to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot to: Manual – High – 10 minutes
- When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally, then remove the lid.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Serve over a scoop of spaghetti squash!