One Pot Paleo Meal: Almond Butter Meatballs and Carrots
I kinda feel like the title of this recipe should be: Almond Butter Meatballs and … carrots? Remove that question mark from your mind – these meatballs and carrots are DELICIOUS together. Don’t think of them as carrots, think of them as scrumptious, lightly sweet and savory side – a perfect compliment to these asian inspired meatballs. Plus, the carrots only take a minute.. so….
This is my second carrot and Instant Pot recipe in a row.. lucky you! ;D
This meal of meatballs and carrots might not sound like much, but the almond butter sauce is very filling!
The almond butter sauce is a version of more traditional peanut sauce – where almond butter is used to make it paleo. If you aren’t following a paleo diet, you can use natural peanut butter in it’s place.
I’ve written before about how Red Boat is the ONLY brand of fish sauce I will use, as other brands we’ve tried just taste plain awful. I actually don’t like the taste of curry – however, this red curry paste goes into every single asian influenced dish I make – it is that good! You may be tempted to skip it – but it really adds a depth of flavor to the sauce that you would otherwise miss. You can easily find both here:
- 1.5 ground pork (or ground beef)
- 1 lb carrots sticks
- 3/4 cup homemade almond butter
- 2 tablespoons Organic Blackstrap Molasses
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- (Pink) Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Red Fish Boat Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger (divided)
- 1/4 chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon Organic Santa Cruz Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot, and add the carrots sticks (in a steamer basket). Make sure the valve is set to sealing, and set the time for Manual – High – 1 Minute.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground meat, eggs, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Form into golf-ball sized meat balls and set aside.
- When the carrots are done, use the quick release method to release pressure. Carefully remove the carrots and spread out in a casserole dish.
- Add the trivet back into the Instant Pot. There should be water still in the pot – if not, add water so there is at least 1/2 cup. (Water level should not go over the trivet). Carefully arrange your meatballs on the trivet. Place the lid back on the Instant Pot, make sure the valve is set to sealing, and set the timer for Manual – High – 13 Minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, get your sauce going: in a saucepan on medium heat, combine almond butter, molasses, red fish boat sauce, red curry paste, lime juice, pepper flakes and ginger. Heat until everything is combined – thin with stock or water to your liking. I noticed the sauce thickened up quite a bit as it cooked.
- Pour the sauce over your carrots, gently tossing with a wooden spoon to evenly coat the carrots.
- When the meatballs are done – wait 5 minutes, and then quick release to release pressure.
- Turn the oven on to Broil.
- Carefully arrange the meatballs on top of the carrots.
- Broil for a couple minutes, taking care to watch for burning. I turned mine over to get a nice brown. You can absolutely skip this step if you want to get right to eating! 😀
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.
I opted to leave the red pepper flakes out, only because I knew W would devour this dish.. which he did. 😀 I would love to see how you customize this easy one pot meal of Almond Butter Meatballs and Carrots!